Thu, Apr 9, 2009
· You should optimize each page of your site for no more than one to two keyword search phrases which should be 2-4 words in length.
· Your most important keyword search phrases should appear first in the title tag. If you must use your company name it should be added to the end of the title tag.
· Shorter site titles are better than really long ones.
· Overlap of keyword search phrases in title tag helps you rank for multiple search terms. Example: <title>Internet Marketing Consulting Services in Massachusetts</title> – This could help you rank for the following combinations: internet marketing consulting, internet marketing services, internet marketing in Massachusetts, internet marketing Massachusetts, etc.
· The meta description tag should contain your keyword search phrases and be written well. This description is commonly used by Google for your organic listing of the page. Google may also use your description listing in the DMOZ directory (if listed there).
· The meta keywords tag no longer factors into your seo ranking. It is used to keep track of the keyword search phrases the page is optimized for.
· Use an H1 header tag on your page containing the keyword search phrase(s) you are optimizing the page for. This helps reinforce the page title when the search engine bots spider the page. Control the font and size of font using CSS.
· Use H2 and/or H3 header tags before every paragraph. This helps the visitor when reading your page, but it also helps to reinforce the theme of the page content. Control the font and size of font using CSS.
· Use bulleted lists and/or bold targeted keyword search phrases. This breaks up page content better and helps with SEO
· Always write compelling page content for human readers and not exclusively for search engine spiders.
· Page content should be unique (not copied from anywhere else). The more content you have the better, but precise word counts not necessary. Page optimized keyword search terms should appear in exact order, close proximity, and sprinkled throughout content
· Use ALT image description tags with any images listed on the page and use keyword search terms page is optimized for in these descriptions is possible
· Other SEO best practices:
a) Use Text-based navigation
b) If using graphic navigation, use ALT description tags using keywords that accurately target the theme of the page it links to
c) If site contains along of pages, use keyword descriptive breadcrumb navigation
d) Create and use a site map page that links to every page of your site. This helps the search engine spiders to crawl every page of your website. In addition, create and XML sitemap of the site and submit it to Google Sitemaps for inclusion
e)Link to, and use a cascading style sheet (CSS) for every page of your site